Skip to main content


Inspiring Students to Learn, Lead, and Serve

Medication Administration

Dear Parent or Guardian:

As we begin a new school year, it is an appropriate time to remind you of the policy regarding administering medications during the school day. In the event that your child requires medication to be administered, either prescription or over the counter, BOTH a parent’s permission and a written physician’s order must be obtained and presented to the school nurse or health aide. Although this may cause some inconvenience, this policy is deemed best for the continued protection of your child and must be followed. If the proper permission and documentation are not on file, no medication will be given to a student. Under no circumstances will students be allowed to self–medicate.

A Medication Administration form must be signed by the physician and the parent for prescription or over-the-counter medication to be dispensed during the school day. This form should be delivered to the school nurse or health aide along with the medication. The form must include the name of the medication, dosage, time to be given and the duration that the prescription will be administered. For prescriptions, the container must be original with the name of the student, medication, dosage, route, time interval of administration and the doctor’s name. For over-the-counter medication, it needs to be provided in its original packaging with safety seal intact when provided to the school nurse or health aide. All medication must be delivered to the school by the parent or guardian. The school will not accept or dispense any medication delivered to the school by the student.

A new Medication Administration form must be re-submitted each school year and any time there is a change made to the original prescription. If the child is taken off the medication, a written note accompanied by a dated and signed physician’s order must be turned into the school. Also, the parent must pick up any unused medication from the school nurse or health aide.

If a student needs to possess an inhaler, epi-pen, or insulin pump, a doctor’s order is required stating that the student can carry this on their person. In addition, an Authorization for Student Possession and Use form must be obtained and be on file for the start of each school year. Specifically relating to allergic reactions requiring possible treatment with epinephrine (Epi-pen), an Allergy Action Plan form must also be obtained and completed by your child’s doctor prior to the start of the school year.

I realize this is a lot of information but please be assured it is necessary in order to provide the safest environment for your child. Please do not hesitate to contact the school nurse or health aide if you have any questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Diane Hopton, RN, CSN

District Nurse

Wickliffe City Schools